;

Is This Really The "Truth on Death?"

Started by Michael:D, March 05, 2017, 07:38:31 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Michael:D

It seems almost impossible to me that this topic should be relegated to the "Not Mainstream Doctrine" section of the forum, but the fact of the matter is, many people's thoughts and feelings do not necessarily agree with the truths expressed in this video presentation:

A tip-of-the-hat to forum member Susan Donahue for discovering the video
and bringing it to the attention of us all!

The ideas expressed in the video are readily discernible with a careful study of the scripture. Refer to the following verses and ask yourself "how is the information presented not considered 'Mainstream?'"

Video Verses:

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead KNOW NOT ANY THING, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is DEATH; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Job 14:10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?
Job 14:11 As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up:
Job 14:12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

GregD

Great post Mike:D (thanks for posting the verses) and great find Susan.

Death is one of the most misunderstood Biblical teachings IMHO. We touched on it quite a bit in the The Case for Fire and Brimstone topic. Click the link to see the conversation there.

Just a quick look at the verses referenced makes it obvious that death is not life in another place like we have been taught for so many years. We are taught that believers instantly go to Heaven and non-believers go instantly to Hell when they die. How can that be true if the verses sited in the video are true?

In the Old Testament, death is equated to sleep. According to Job.14:12, the dead will not awake nor be raised from that sleep. That same idea is taught in the New Testament as well. See Rom.6:23, the wages of sin is DEATH... not Hell... death. In Act.7:60, Stephen "fell asleep". In Joh.11:11-14, Jesus said Lazarus sleeps. Paul calls death in 1Co.11:30, 1Co.15:6, 18 and 51, sleep. There are many other references but these should be enough to give you the idea that death is equated to sleep in the Bible.

The first thing we need to understand is that Jesus saved us from death on the cross. Joh.3:16 says those who believe in Christ "shall not perish". There are at least two lessons to be learned from this one verse.

First, the Greek word translated perish in v.16 is apollumi, which literally means to be destroyed fully. If someone is destroyed fully at death, how can they be in Heaven or Hell? So, Jesus saves us from being destroyed fully, never to return. There is now hope after death. Before the cross, when you died, you were gone... forever.

Secondly, Jesus is comparing perishing to eternal life. What sense would this verse make if Jesus was saying... if you don't believe, you'll spend eternity in Hell vs eternal life? They are both supposedly eternal, so why does Jesus make the comparison? Jesus is comparing eternal death with eternal life. That makes sense.

So, to sum up, the Bible clearly teaches that death is like sleep. From the perspective of the dead person, that's a perfect description. I died and the next instant... to me... I'm awake. I have no idea how long I've been "asleep". It could have been 10 minutes or 10,000 years. I have no idea. That's why it's like sleep.

Like Mike:D said, it is difficult to understand how the teaching of death go so out of whack. I guess it's like all the other Biblical topics that are out of whack. Most people don't take the time to investigate these things for themselves.

Remember Act.17:11 - These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Be a noble Berean. Listen to what is taught with eagerness, but ALWAYS search the scriptures yourself to prove that what you're taught lines up with God's word. If it doesn't, reject it. If it does... and it conflicts with something you already believe, dig around to find out why. Chances are you'll find that what you've believed isn't what the Bible really says. Don't forget, Satans most powerful tool against us is deception. He knows the Bible better than we could ever hope to. Look for yourself... don't let Satan tell you lies. That's what he does... and he's good at it.

Great find Susan. Keep looking.

Go Up