;

Getting to know Paul

Started by Michael:D, March 31, 2015, 01:44:40 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Michael:D

March 31, 2015, 01:44:40 PM Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:35:38 PM by webmaster
In doing some research for our Monday Evening Bible study I thought I would be well served with a greater understanding of Paul - since I am starting to realize his role in the development of Christianity was far more important than I had ever imagined (prior to delving into the topics discussed in Greg's course of study.)

I came across an article titled "Jesus and Paul" that focused on what many critics see as a weakness in Paul's testimony: that, unlike the other writers of gospel in the Bible Paul never actually met Jesus as he walked the Earth in his ministry but bases all his teachings on the revelations he received from the resurrected Christ. It turns out that the paper I read was actually the excerpted sixth chapter from a book titled "The Origin of Paul's Religion" by John Gresham published in 1921.

A check of Archive.org finds that this work is apparently in the public domain and is available for free download in several eBook formats on the following page:

The origin of Paul's religion
by Machen, J. Gresham (John Gresham), 1881-1937
https://archive.org/details/paulsreligion00machuoft

I am going to try to tackle the 350 pages (since the chapter I read was so compelling.) I recommend that you at least read chapter six for a better understanding of this life-changing relationship between Paul and the Risen Jesus Christ.
I don't really know anything about Gresham other than to say he seems to be an objective scholar of the Bible and religious history.

GregD

April 23, 2015, 12:38:46 PM #1 Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:41:09 PM by GregD
Thanks Mike, I will attempt to read that book as well.

Interesting that Mr. Gresham considers Pauls testimony a weakness. Jesus said many things in His earthly ministry that we should learn, understand and believe. He is after all the Lord of the universe. But what He revealed to Paul, after His ascension, is so much higher and deeper than what He revealed to the 12 Apostles. We learn that our citizenship is in Heaven... RIGHT NOW! Jesus never told the 12 that. Paul tells us that we aren't under the law but under Grace. Jesus, in His earthly ministry, not only followed the law but made it harder to do so. If you lust in your heart, you've already committed adultery. If you have anger in your heart, you've committed murder. That's pretty tough. I've lusted and I've been angry. Does that mean I'm not saved? Of course not.

What Jesus revealed to Paul is far and above anything He ever taught the 12. It is so much more than Peter and the others knew, that Peter tells us in 2Pe.3:15&16 that what Paul teaches is "hard to be understood". Peter may have been dense (kidding) but if Jesus had taught him the same thing that He taught Paul, I think Peter would have gotten it. As a devoted Jew, Peter grappled with the idea of not being under the law. He had a hard time with that idea. It's not Peters fault, Jesus didn't teach him that, Jesus told Paul.

Paul's gospel is not merely an extension of what Jesus taught in His earthly ministry. It is something totally new and different. Thank God for Paul and his message. If not for him, we'd still be strangers: Eph.2:12  "That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:"

And enemies of God: Eph 2:15  Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Michael:D

Hi Greg,
I am reading "at" it and have made it back into chapter 6 (only this time starting from the front of the book.) I find it fascinating and although the book is really quite old he does present many of the "scholarly" arguments of the day.
I feel I must point out that is is not Gresham that considers Paul's testimony to be lacking but critics of his writings.

I am learning a lot about how the bible has been criticized in respects to Pauline principals and find Mr. Gresham up to the task of settling many contemporary (at time of publication) arguments.

I have always known that Paul's letters were very important contributions to the gospel and the more I learn of his story the greater significance I find should be given to his teachings.

Anyone who enjoys reading dry, in-depth, analytical writing will have a field day in the work. ;) 

Thanks for commenting Greg; great to see you in the Vestibule!

GregD

Sorry for my misunderstanding about Gresham's opinion of Paul. I know there are a ton of "scholars" throughout Christian history that disrespect Paul and some even go as far as stating that Paul doesn't belong in our Bible at all.

Paul tells us in 2nd Timothy that people were departing from him (from the faith) while he was still alive.

2Ti 1:12-15  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. 13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 14  That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us. 15  This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.

Paul is exhorting Timothy to remain faithful to the (his) gospel even as most of his disciples have turned from him. This has got to be the work of Satan. He knows the true gospel for us today and has done (and is doing) everything he can to turn the world from it.

Thanks for the welcome and I will make every effort to check things out here daily.

Go Up