;

Earth's Earliest Ages - G.H. Pember

Started by Michael:D, February 17, 2016, 08:26:01 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Michael:D

February 17, 2016, 08:26:01 AM Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:27:16 PM by webmaster
I have started reading the 'hard-copy' of this book and was amazed to learn it was originally published in 1889. I checked the Internet Archive and was pleased to find it available to read for free  in PDF and Text formats. Now I can continue reading during down-time at work and not have to worry about carting the book around...

If I have any comments to make about this book I will make them here in this topic. If you have read it or decide to read it let us know what you think here too.

Download the PDF directly: https://archive.org/download/earthsearliestag00pemb/earthsearliestag00pemb.pdf

February 21, 2016, 08:20:38 AM #1 Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:19:18 PM by Michael:D
Okay, I have made my way through the 3 prefaces to this book and am a couple of chapters into the book and  have to say this is far more relevant to Monday Bible Study then I ever thought it would be (given that this is an 150 year old work.)

The prefaces do set the stage for the condition of the world in the mid to late 1800s and is pretty interesting in a historical sense (but was a chore to get through) - it may be relevant for later chapters of the book.

So far I can say those first couple of chapters could be titled "Welcome to MtZionIndy's Monday Evening Bible Study."

After reading thus far it is easy to see the G.H. Pember influence in many of our favorite commentators...

Read the first chapter (The Creation) and you too might just find Pember to be a kindred spirit. :)

-----------------------------------
EDIT: 2-22-2016
Just getting ready now to start Chapter VIII and I have to say the first seven chapters were some of the most enlightened commentaries on creation and the fall of man I have ever heard (let alone read.) With every page I read I am struck with the feeling that everyone who has ever contemplated the perception of depth in the familiar Biblical account of creation and the "story" of the Garden of Eden needs to read this stirring prophetic presentation. I am at a loss as to why this book is in the public domain and not a repeat performer in some best-seller's list. Perhaps the balance of the book will pale by comparison to these early pages but I am hopeful this enjoyable read thus far is simply setting the stage for even more sage wisdom to follow...
I don't know about the other books in your "Unseen Realm" collection Greg, but I do heartily recommend this edifying work by Mr. Pember.

GregD

I will be looking at this book as well as "The Unseen Realm" book and putting my thoughts and comments here. I really wish I read faster and enjoyed reading more than I do. It seems like it takes forever (not just an eon) to get through a book. Thanks again for posting this link.

Well, I finished reading this and all-in-all I have to say I am glad I did.

The second half of the book turned out to be a treatise on the reality of the spirit realm and its interaction with humanity. As I read it I could understand why this was not much accepted in the mainstream of Christian literature  as it seemed to spend a great deal of time in the fantastical, spiritualist "tall-grass" but in the end made a strong case for Christianity in the face of arguments from many of the other worlds religions. I highly recommend reading this book for a historical perspective on today's Christianity and the negative influences on it from many ancient spiritual-based belief systems.

Go Up