;

Preparing for the Kingdom

Started by Michael:D, March 24, 2017, 02:18:28 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Michael:D

In anticipation of Dave's desire for us to enter into a discussion of "The Kingdom" (as mentioned often in the Book of Matthew) you may have noticed I compiled a list of verses from The New Testament that mention "The Kingdom" in various context. See: http://www.deburger.com/vestibule/index.php?topic=230.0

While going over that collection I discovered a verse instance I left out - I have since updated the post and attached txt file to include Mat 8:12

In the midst of doing the correction I happened upon a rather tasty bit of controversy right there in Matthew...

So what do you make of a comparison of Mat 8:12 with Mat  13:38 ???

Mat 8:12 yet the sons of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness. There shall be lamentation and gnashing of teeth."
Mat 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:38 Now the field is the world. Now the ideal seed, these are the sons of the kingdom. Now the darnel are the sons of the wicked one."
Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

We often hear that where the Bible appears to contradict itself it is actually beckoning closer inspection - this is that if ever I have seen it...

Dave T

Michael:D

I have seen some online discussion that "sons of the Kingdom" refers to the Jews whereas those from the "East and West" is referring to Gentiles. That Jesus made this statement in relation to the healing of the Centurion's servant (Matthew 8:5) seems to make the point that genuine faith belonging even to gentiles will allow them to enter the Kingdom among the likes of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (these would be the "All-Star" Jews.) The casting out/wailing, gnashing teeth are those Jews that did not understand the "faith component" required for admittance to the Kingdom.

To me this seems to support my long-held belief that there is but one Kingdom - to be shared by Jews and Gentiles alike... of course more study is needed but this lesson will be tough to overturn.

Earthly Kingdom -vs- Heavenly Kingdom?  Gee, I don't know about that...

Mat 5:20  For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The way I see it, the only way anyone would ever qualify for entrance into the Kingdom is going to be through the justification by the Grace of God through his Holy Spirit delivered to all by the death of His Son on the cross and the blessed Hope shown to all through the Resurrection of Christ Jesus.

But other than that... I cannot imagine what point Jesus was attempting to make.

When you compare all this to the "Parable of the Tares Explained" (Matthew 13:36) - it suggest that the "sons of the Kingdom" are now those good seeds spread by "the Son of Man" it seems to suggest that there is a NEW classification for "sons of the Kingdom" and if you do not belong to Christ you are "sons of the wicked one."

It seems to me that perhaps the reason Jesus (and the apostles) were speaking only to "The Lost Sheep of the House of Israel" was that they are going to need to change their ways (repent) if they were going to have the hope of salvation. I really think their blindness is in thinking Paul's message of Grace does not apply to them.

but of course, I'm still looking into this ;)

GregD

I have apparently made a distinction in our discussions that I didn't intend to make. I will borrow a line from Les Feldick here: "The Kingdom is the Kingdom is the Kingdom". There is only one Kingdom of God. The difference, in my opinion, is where we will be living in this Kingdom.

The Jews, throughout the entire OT, were promised an Earthly kingdom. Even after Jesus was resurrected, they asked him in Act.1:6 -  Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, "Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?" They were expecting the greatness of the Earthly kingdom of David and Solomon, to be restored according to all the promises God had made to the fathers. Notice that Jesus didn't chide them and ask them why they were looking for an Earthly Kingdom. He didn't say... "Have I been with you these 3 years and all you want is a restored Earthly Kingdom?" No, all Jesus said was that it wasn't for them to know the times or seasons. This would have been the perfect opportunity to tell them they were headed for Heaven.

Jesus promises the 12:

Mat_19:28  So Jesus said to them, "Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luk_22:30  that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

Jesus is saying that (in my opinion) the 12, because they followed Jesus, will rule on the earth. Again, a fulfillment of OT promises.

Paul tells us in many verses that our expectation is not to rule the earth but to live in Heaven.

Php 3:20  For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 

I totally agree with the statement above made by Mike:D. There is but one Kingdom. Where I see a difference is where our residence within that Kingdom will be. Israel and any gentiles that come to believe as the Jews do, that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God, will live in the Kingdom on the Earth, ruled by the 12 Apostles. We, as grace age believers, have a Heavenly home waiting for us.

I will post more verses on the differences later, right now I'm running late for our meeting where I'm sure this topic will be discussed at length.  ;)

Go Up