;

Translating "The Future"

Started by Michael:D, May 06, 2015, 02:09:53 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Michael:D

I have recently started using eSword and find it very useful for searching the texts as well as comparing several different Bible translations. I have come across something I find very interesting...

Did you know that the word "Future" is nowhere to be found in the King James Version of the Bible? I do not have NKJV searchable so I am not sure of that one (my hard-copy NKJV Bible's concordance section does not list it though.)

It's interesting that the CLV contains the word "Future" but it appears to use it for a couple of different Hebrew words. See H5769 and H5750 (for starters) I was under the impression that the CLV was a one-to-one word substitution translation Hebrew/Greek:English but perhaps this is not the case.

For example in Isaiah 45:17 where KJV says

"...ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end."

CLV says

"...They shall not be ashamed nor confounded for future eons." --- CLV seems to rely on H5769 here

Where in Genesis 8:22 KJV says

"While the earth remaineth..."

CLV says

"In the future, all the days of the earth..." --- CLV seemingly relies on H5750 for this one

These are just two random examples. Maybe CLV translates H5750 as "in the future" where H5769 stands as simply "future" - so not exactly a 1:1 formula. (?)

I hope to delve deeper into this but thought someone may have already done this bit of research or might otherwise have an opinion on the subject...

Go Up