;

Altar Call

Started by Dave T, June 09, 2016, 09:57:56 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Dave T

The question come about altar calls at our last Tuesday evening Bible study. A quick search came up with this:
But as the nineteenth century dawned, popular American Methodist preachers wanted a method to help them determine who of their listeners had been converted. Anglican churches featured an altar in front of the communion table, and ministers often encouraged parishioners to come to the altar if they needed prayer or encouragement. Methodist preachers inherited this tradition but changed its purpose, calling rather those "under conviction" to come forward to the altar. In 1801, for example, itinerant Methodist preacher Peter Cartwright told women at a camp meeting that if they promised "to pray to God for religion," they might take a seat at the altar. Cartwright further accused parents who discouraged their children from "going to the altar" of hindering their salvation.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/2008/august/when-and-why-did-custom-of-conducting-altar-calls-begin.html

Dave T

According to Wikipedia the altar call's name has its basis in the Old Testament. Religious leaders must have felt there was some similarities and used the following passage to name the "Anxious Seat" an "altar call."

In the Old Testament, an altar was where sacrifices were made. So, the name "altar call" refers to a believer "offering" themselves on an altar to God, as in Romans 12:1:
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.  (KJV)

Michael:D

June 13, 2016, 07:26:58 PM #2 Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:41:59 PM by Michael:D
Interesting post Dave,

In browsing the internet for more information regarding "the anxious seat" I happened upon a blog maintained by Dr. John Cereghin, (pastor of Grace Baptist Church in Smyrna, Delaware) that he describes as "...a blog about exploring the Christian Life from a Remnant, Pilgrim viewpoint." Dr. Cereghin  offers a very compelling viewpoint that should be of interest to our study group.

In particular I found a series of articles regarding Charles Finney (often referred to as "The Father of Modern Revivalism.")

Dr. John Cereghin has authored a book titled "Nettleton Verses Finney: The Shift in American Evangelicalism 1820-1830" and the following articles are excerps from Chapter 7 of that work:

The Heresies of Charles Finney

Part 3 (above) is the one that deals with the "Anxious Seat" (in the section labeled "Finney's New Methods")

I've only skimmed the articles at this point but wanted to share them here in case you also wanted to take a deeper look into Finney.

Michael:D

GregD

You guys present some interesting information in your posts. I'll have to take a deeper look at them.

My main concern about the "Altar call" is that sometimes, so much emphasis is placed on it that some people might get the impression that they must go to the altar in order to be saved. This is not true at all and can be dangerous. We are saved the instant we believe the Gospel (or the good news) that Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose again the 3rd day (See 1Corinthians 15:1-4). No altar is necessary. No public profession is necessary. We don't need to beg Jesus to forgive our sins (He already has). We don't even need to "ask Jesus into our heart". All we do is believe it. That's it... believe it.

If you haven't been to one of our Tuesday night meetings, you're missing out on very interesting topics and the fun we have diving into Gods Word to see what He says about, well, everything. I strongly urge everyone reading these posts to prayerfully consider joining us sometime.

Go Up